Sunday, April 28, 2013

Why play poker? - part 3 Goals

The reality is starting to set in, two weeks from today I will be departing for Las Vegas. As I wrote the last two posts about my thinking on playing poker full time I started to get a little nervous.  When I reread them objectively I can see there is some justification involved, and that this is something I want to do more than a great decision.  I will address this in a future post, and since I am going to go forward with the idea I am going to focus on goals today.

Poker Goals:

1. Play 40 hours/week on average.
2. Improve my game.
3. Move up to 2/5.

I initially wrote a lot of other things here but realized they were not goals but things I need to do to accomplish these 3 things.  To further elaborate I am aware of some leaks and shortcomings from my time playing in the past 6 months.  I feel that if I have any chance of accomplishing these goals I am going to have to step up my discipline.

Things I need to do:

1. Keep stats for every session.
2. Keep notes on hands/spots for later review.
3. Make time for study away from the tables.
4. Game select.  Change rooms or tables when the game is not good.
5. 3 buy in stop-loss.  Only quit when winning if I get tired, stop playing well, or if the game gets bad.
6. Take shots at 2/5 when bankroll and conditions are right.

This may seem pretty basic but I am a firm believer in having simple, doable goals. Things get complicated in my head and a simple action like looking at a list like this can keep me grounded.  At the end of my adventure if I look back and see that I haven't done the things above I will have no one but myself to blame.

Just went to YouTube to post the Smith Westerns song I was listening to and got a bonus surprise. They have a new album coming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment